Book – Ego is the Enemy
Author – Ryan Holiday
Genre – Self-help Book
Published in – 2016
Some learn humility. Some choose Ego. Some are prepared for the changes of fate, both positive and negative. Others are not. Which will you choose? Who will you be?
Sooner or later, we all have to answer this question, and this book offers suggestions to help make that decision. The book is also filled with great quotes and Lines.
25 Best Quotes from Ego is the Enemy –
1. “Most of us aren’t “egomaniacs,” but Ego is at the root of almost every conceivable problem and obstacle, from why we can’t win to why we need to win all the time and at the expense of others. From why we don’t have what we want to why having what we want doesn’t make us feel any better.”
2. “When we are aspiring, we must resist the impulse to reverse engineer success from other people’s stories. When we achieve our own, we must resist the desire to pretend that everything unfolded exactly as planned. There was no grand narrative. You should remember we were there when it happened.”
3. “Virtue begins with understanding and is fulfilled by courage. We must begin by seeing ourselves and the world in a new way for the first time. Then we must fight to be different and fight to stay different—that’s the hard part” – Demosthenes
4. “No one is permanently successful, and not everyone finds success on the first attempt. We all deal with setbacks along the way. Ego not only leaves us unprepared for these circumstances, it often contributes to their occurrence in the first place.”
5. “We are all faced with this same challenge in pursuing our own goals: Will we work hard for something that can be taken away from us? Will we invest time and energy even if an outcome is not guaranteed? With the right motives, we’re willing to proceed. With Ego, we’re not.”
6. “An amateur is defensive. The professional finds learning enjoyable; they like being challenged and humbled, and engage in education as an ongoing and endless process.”
7. “Sometimes, because we can’t face what’s been said or what’s been done, we do the unthinkable in response to the unbearable: we escalate. This is Ego in its purest and most toxic form.”
8. “Let’s make one thing clear: We never earn the right to be greedy or to pursue our interests at the expense of everyone else. To think otherwise is not only egotistical but also counterproductive.”
9. “Ego needs honors to be validated. Conversely, confidence can wait and focus on the task regardless of external recognition.”
10. “Why do you do what you do? That’s the question you need to answer. Stare at it until you can. Only then will you understand what matters and what doesn’t.”
11. “Although we share a vision for greatness with many others, we understand that our path differs greatly from theirs.”
12. “It’d be far better if you were intimidated by what lies ahead—humbled by its magnitude and determined to see it through regardless.”
13. “A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts, so he loses touch with reality and lives in a world of illusions” – Alan Watts
14. “A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something above you.”
15. “What matters to an active man is to do the right thing; whether the right thing comes to pass should not bother him” – Goethe
16. “Ambition means tying your well-being to what others say or do. Sanity means tying it to your actions” – Marcus Aurelius
17. “The first product of self-knowledge is humility. This is how we fight the Ego, by really knowing ourselves” –Flannery O’Connor
18. “One of the symptoms of approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is important” – Bertrand Russell
19. “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool” -RICHARD FEYNMAN
20. “Humility causes learning because it beats back the arrogance that puts blinders on” –Wynton Marsalis
21. “The best plan is only good intentions unless it degenerates into work” —PETER DRUCKER
23. “The only relationship between work and chatter is that one kills the other.”
24. “It is impossible to learn that which one thinks one already knows” – Epictetus
25. “Myth becomes myth not in the living but in the retelling” – —DAVID MARANISS
I hope these quotes and lines inspire you to tackle your Ego and become your best version. Please feel free to share this post with people you think will benefit from reading it.
I have also written an Ego is the Enemy Book Summary. You may read it here.
Please share your favorite quote from above or elsewhere that you keep referring to.
Thank you for your time.