Book – The Code of the Extraordinary Mind
Author – Vishen Lakhiani
Genre – Self-Help
Published in – 2016
“We constantly upgrade our electronic models and systems, but many of us live with outdated beliefs and habits without even knowing it. When you swap out old, expired models and systems that limit you, you’re elevating your consciousness and opening the path to extraordinary living.”.
Vishen explains what it means to have an extraordinary life. It does not happen by chance, or through hard work, or through a unique set of skills. There is actually a methodology that anyone can employ—a code you can learn—that will catapult your life into the realm of the extraordinary.
Just as a programmer can program a software to do specific tasks by understanding its code, you can program your life and the world around you to improve, enhance the way you live and the experiences you have in this lifetime.
About the Book –
This is one of the most well-rounded book I have read recently. The book will help you look at your existing hardware (beliefs), and software (Living system). It will encourage you to change what is not working. The book is full of useful tactics whether you are looking to set right goals, how to be happy at the moment, or looking to elevate all aspect of life.
The Book is divided in four parts. 1) Living in Culturescape (Identifying our existing system), 2) The Awakening (The power to choose), 3) Re coding Yourself (Transforming inner world), 4) Becoming Extraordinary (Changing the world).
PART I – Living the Culturescape (How You were Shaped by the World Around You)
Everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you. And you can change it. You can influence it. Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again. – Steve Jobs
1) Absolute Truth v/s Relative Truth–
- Absolute truth is the physical world. This world contains things we’re all likely to agree on like ‘fire is hot’.
- Relative Truth – It’s the mental world of ideas, constructs, concepts, models, myths, patterns, and rules that we’ve developed. This is where concepts such as marriage, money, religion, and laws reside. This is relative truth because these ideas are true only for a particular culture or tribe.
- We inherit and transmit behaviors, emotions, beliefs, and religions not through rational choice but contagion. Ideas, memes, and culture are meant to evolve and change, and we are best served when we question them.
2) Questioning the Brules (Bulls**t Rules)
Vishen encourages taking inventory of our beliefs and reconsider them. Here are few to consider –
You may consider questioning relative truths and liberate yourselves if you find no satisfying answer over and above “My family/culture/people have always done it this way”.
- The College Brule – One must need degree to succeed in life. Even though it is good to have degree, considering time we are living right now, there are ample opportunity for self-educating and pursuing the work our choice.
- The Religion Brule – I like to think about it this way. One can be spiritual without being religious or sticking to one religion. So called religious person may not be good, however good person will definitely be spiritual.
- The Work Brule – When you aren’t suffering for your paycheck, you’re likely to be more engaged and committed to what you’re doing. How long can you afford to not like what you do given that most of us spend most of our waking hours at work?
Part II – The Awakening (The power to choose your own version of the world)
As you recognize and work on Brules and let go those that are holding you back, you feel awareness within and you begin to design our own version of the world, or rather how you perceive the world.
You decide what to let in or reject. You’re engineering how your consciousness is shaped and influenced.
1) Consciousness Engineering (An Operating System for Human Mind)
Vishen divides consciousness engineering in two parts –
- Your Model of Reality (Your Hardware) – What you think is what you get. All of us have this ability to decide what models of reality we’ll adopt. You get to choose. (Our beliefs are our hardware).
- Your Systems for Living (Your software) – Your habits, or systems for living, are how you put your models of reality into practice. The trick is to recognize what systems you’re running and doing enough self-checks to quickly identify the ones you need to upgrade.
- Look at learning anything new in two parts. It is either models of reality, or systems of living. You are either learning new beliefs or learning new systems. New model let’s say ‘belief about money’, system is ‘different way of earning money.’.
2) Rewriting Model of Reality –
Our beliefs are like unquestioned commands, telling us how things are, what’s possible and impossible and what we can and cannot do. They shape every action, every thought, and every feeling that we experience. As a result, changing our belief systems is central to making any real and lasting change in our lives. – Tony Robins
As you go through this section of the book, you will come across below three major learning.
- LESSON 1: Our models of reality lie below the surface. Often, we do not realize we have them until some intervention or contemplative practice makes us aware.
- LESSON 2: We often carry dis empowering models of reality that we inherited as far back as childhood.
- LESSON 3: When you replace dis empowering models of reality with empowering ones, tremendous changes can occur in your life at a very rapid pace.
Part III – Re coding yourself (Transforming your inner world)
Vishen explains the concept of bending reality i.e being happy in the NOW, while holding vision for the future.
1) Bending Reality –
- Stop postponing your happiness. Be happy now. Your thoughts and beliefs do create your reality, and it will be good only when your present state is joyful.
- Have big goals—but don’t tie your happiness to your goals. You must be happy before you attain them.
- There’s no point dwelling in the past and letting it define you, nor in getting lost in anxiety about the future. In the present moment, you’re in the field of possibility. How you engage with the present moment will direct your life.
2) Three Systems of Blissipline –
- Blissipline System 1 – The Power of Gratitude – switch your gap from present-future to past-present (reverse gap). Look at how far you have come, instead of how far you have to go and you will have immense gratitude and confidence to move forward.
- Blissipline System 2 – Forgiveness – for anyone who’s looking to master Blissipline, forgiveness is key. Forgiveness process – Prepare, make list of people, and pick one. 1. Set the scene, 2. Feel the anger and pain. 3. Forgive into love.
- Blissipline System 3 – The Practice of Giving – As they say, Give what you want to receive. Be a happy giver. Serve and love more and more people you can. There is immense power in giving and receiving is byproduct of it.
3) Three Most Important Questions to Ask while Setting Goals –
- What experiences do you want to have in your lifetime? –
If time and money were no object and I did not have to seek anyone’s permission, what kinds of experiences would my soul crave?
- How do you want to grow? To have the experiences above, how do I have to grow? What sort of man or woman do I need to evolve into?
- How do you want to contribute? If I have the experiences above and have grown in these remarkable ways, then how can I give back to the world?
Part IV – Becoming Extraordinary (Changing the World)
We don’t have to choose between Buddha or bad ass. The idea is to be both. Indeed, sometimes the only way to be effective at one is to master the other.
Be Unf*ckwithable –
Extraordinary minds do not need to seek validation from outside opinion or through the attainment of goals. Instead, they are truly at peace with themselves and the world around them. They live fearlessly immune to criticism or praise and fueled by their own inner happiness and self-love.
Two components of being Unf*ckwithable –
1) Self-Fueled Goals –
- A good end goal is something you have absolute control over. No object or person can take it away from you.
- Good example of love end goal – “To be consistently surrounded by love”. Relationship with children – instead of “to be close to my children” set “To be the best parent I can be.”
2) Realizing You Are Enough –
- I am not enough is the biggest disease affecting humanity.
- There is nothing more attractive than a person who loves himself or herself so deeply that their positive energy and love spill over to others and to the world.
3) Exercises for Becoming Unf*ckwithable –
- Exercise 1 – The person in the mirror (for creating self-love) Look yourself in the mirror and affirm “I love you”
- Exercise 2 – Self gratitude (For appreciating yourself) – Appreciate yourself more often. Count good things you did, good encounter you had, good things you learn.
- Exercise 3 – becoming present (to remove sudden fear and anxiety) – Fear and anxiety vanishes when you pull yourself back into present. In present, you feel empowered to acts on what is to be done, rather than worrying.
I have also created video of few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my You Tube channel – Myread4change
based on your state of mind you will love or hate this book. I urge you to read the book with an open mind and do consider applying the suggestions in the book and you will see this major difference in your life.
I would appreciate your comments of this post in the comment box.
Thank you for reading and I wish you Extraordinary Life.