Book – Stillness is The Key (Quotes)
Author – Ryan Holiday
Genre – Self- help Book
Published in – 2019
Ryan defines Stillness this way – To be steady while the world spins around you. To act without frenzy. To hear only what needs to be heard. To possess quietude— exterior and interior—on command.
Here are 29 inspiring quotes from the book.
1. “Only those of us who take the time to explore, to question, to conclude the consequences of our desires have an opportunity to overcome them and to stop regrets before they start. Only they know that real pleasure lies in having a soul that’s true and stable, happy and secure”
2. “That space between your ears—that’s yours. You don’t just have to control what gets in, you also have to control what goes on in there. You have to protect it from yourself, from your thoughts”
3. “Work done for a reward is much lower than work done in the Yoga of wisdom. Set thy heart upon thy work, but never on its reward. Work not for the reward; but never cease to do thy work” — THE BHAGAVAD GITA
4. “The world is like muddy water. To see through it, we have to let things settle. We can’t be disturbed by initial appearances, and if we are patient and still, the truth will be revealed to us”
5. “Solitude allows you to reflect while others are reacting. We need solitude to refocus on prospective decision-making, rather than just reacting to problems as they arise”
6. “The greatest misfortune is to not know contentment. The word calamity is the desire to acquire. And so those who know the contentment of contentment are always content” – – The Daodejing
7. “I force my mind to concentrate, and keep it from straying to things outside itself; all outdoors may be chaos, provided that there is no disturbance within” – SENECA
8. “This is what the best journals look like. They aren’t for the reader. They are for the writer. To slow the mind down. To wage peace with oneself”
9. “To have an impulse and to resist it, to sit with it and examine it, to let it pass by like a bad smell—this is how we develop spiritual strength”
10. “Stillness is not an excuse to withdraw from the affairs of the world. Quite the opposite—it’s a tool to let you do more good for more people”
11. “Make what you can of what you have been given. Live what can be lived. That’s what excellence is. That’s what presence makes possible”
12. “To hold the mind still is an enormous discipline, one which must be faced with the greatest commitment of your life” – Garry Shandling
13. “Confidence is the freedom to set your standards and unshackle yourself from the need to prove yourself”
14. “Knowing what not to think about. What to ignore and not to do. It’s your first and most important job” – Thich Nhat Hanh
15. “Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it” – Collin Powell
16. “The health of our spiritual ideals depends on what we do with our bodies in moments of truth”
17. “All of humanity’s problems, stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone” – Blaise Pascal
18. “If you wish to improve, be content to appear clueless or stupid in unimportant matters” – Epictetus
19. “It’s not that we need to believe that God is great, only that God is greater than us” – Nassim Taleb
20. “A person enslaved to their urges is not free—whether they are a plumber or the president”
21. “Living outside your means is not glamorous. Behind the appearances, it’s exhausting”
22. “The gentleman makes things his servants. The petty man is servant to things” – Xunzi
23. “If the mind is disciplined, the heart turns quickly from fear to love” – John Cage
24. “An envious man pains himself as though he were an enemy” – Democritus
25. “Nothing is enough for the man, to whom enough is too little” – Epicurus
26. “People who don’t read have no advantage over those who cannot read”
27. “When we know what to say no to, we can say yes to the things that matter”
28. “We must be disciplined about our discipline and moderate in our moderation”
29. “A wealth of information creates a poverty of attention” —HERBERT SIMON
Hope you liked these quotes and found them inspiring. Feel free to share this post with people you will be benefited from some encouraging words.
Also, share your favorite QUOTE in the comment whether from above or outside of this post. I would love to hear from you.
Wish you a great life.