Book – Life’s Amazing Secrets
Author – Gaur Gopal Das
Genre – Self-Help Book
Published in – 2018
“The mind is what we use to perceive the world. We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are.“
After watching a couple of videos and recommendations from my brother-in-law I picked this book and am glad I did.
As a society, it’s all too easy to focus on our external achievements and forget to assess whether we are happy with the state of our life.
We tend to take everyone at face value, equating what they have on the outside to how they feel on the inside.
We have mastered how to look successful, but not how to organize our lives so that we feel successful.
About the Book –
Life’s Amazing Secrets is a story of two fictional characters (a couple), who seems to be really successful, and happy on the outside. Yet, as the story progresses we learn how misguiding appearance can be.
I loved the analogy of Wheels of a Car used in the book to talk about the four key areas of life. Our personal life, relationships, work-life and social contribution.
The lack of right pressure even in one wheel can slow you down in reaching your destination; the loss of one can be fatal.
He also compares the steering wheel to our spirituality. Let’s say we have the right pressure in all tires, and all wheels are aligned, but if we don’t have steering wheels in our hands, we will not reach our destination.
The book is divided into four parts like the four wheels of a car. It signifies that all four areas have the same importance and how we can find the balance.
Here are the excerpts from Each Part (Wheel)
The Wheel I – Personal Life
1) Growing Through Gratitude –
- Gratitude is not a feeling; it is a state of mind that can be developed, and it allows us to tap into a reservoir of unlimited positive energy.
- Those who are grateful are not only immune to distress but also gratitude on many different levels offering us unlikely solace in a time of great difficulty.
2) Press Pause –
- Pausing from time to time for reflecting and counting blessings and when we are thankful for what we have, makes us poised to receive more.
- You may consider writing a gratitude log daily, which is based on three principles of gratitude: recognize, remember and reciprocate.
3) Why Worry –
Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.Leo Buscaglia
- Whether or not we can do something about any situation, our response should not be anxiety.
- Think: Is this in my control? If yes, you can do something about it. If not, then you cannot do anything about it. Therefore, in both circumstances, why worry?
- I loved the worry circle he shared in the book.
Wheel II – Relationships
1) What We Choose to See –
What we choose to see in people determines our approach towards them. Gaur Gopal Das claims that they are five ways to look at people and he encourages us to aspire for at least Type four.
- Type 1 – A person who cannot see the good at all.
- Type 2 – A person who sees both good and the bad, but chooses to neglect the good.
- Type 3 – A person who sees the good and the bad and is neutral to both – difficult to find this kind.
- Type 4 – A person who sees both good and the bad, but chooses to neglect the bad.
- Type 5 – A Person Who Cannot See the Bad at All; They See the Slightest Good and Magnify It.
2) Correcting Cautiously –
- Many times we forget to invest appreciation and love into a person before we correct them. He suggests considering four questions before correcting anyone.
- Am I the right person?
- Do I have the right motive?
- Do I know the right way?
- Is it the right time?
3) Forgiveness –
- Relationships follow the principle of growing a plant: constant care is required so that one day, it blooms. There are no shortcuts.
- The most widely underestimated quality which can help us improve our relationships is forgiveness.
- Everyone is going through challenges concealed from the public eye, and we need the lens of empathy to be able to see that.
Wheel III – Work-life
1) Competition Crossroads –
- At work, we tend to compare and compete with others, instead of comparing and competing with ourselves.
- when ambition crosses the line of ethics and turns into greed, even reputed businesses can get involved with scandals as they vie for the largest piece of the pie.
2) Integrity & Character –
- Philosophy without good character is of little or no value. There are three aspects of spirituality in practice:
- Vichaar: The philosophy that we seek answers from.
- Achaar: The act on that philosophy. We must do it.
- Prachaar: The good conduct that is displayed to the world through those actions. We must practice it.
Wheel IV – Social Contribution
1) Selfless Service –
- You can be completely selfish, completely selfless, or any of the combinations in between. Life is a journey from being selfish to becoming selfless.
- In order to be happy, we should shift our attitude from being an ice cream to a candle, from being selfish to selfless. This is shown through service.
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the book. Please do subscribe to the YouTube channel for self-help books quotes- Myread4change –
Life’s Amazing secret will leave you with things to ponder upon, work upon and improve all areas of life and find the balance. Reading this book would be worth your time.
You may download Life’s Amazing Secret free E-book from here.
If you like this book, you may also like to read Ikigai and Who will cry, when you die.
Hope this book summary helped you in some way. I would appreciate a few words in the comment.
Wish you balanced life.
5 thoughts on “Life’s Amazing Secrets Book Summary I Gaur Gopal Das”
Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful information specially the last part 🙂 I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
I believe this site has got some really good information for everyone. “Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.” Francis Bacon.
Saved as a favorite, I like your web site!
I genuinely enjoy looking through this web site, it has superb content.