Book – The Science of Getting Rich (Summary)
Author – Wallace D. Wattles
Genre – Self-help Book
Published in – 1910
Money is a very touchy subject and there are as many perceptions and beliefs as there are experiences of people around Money.
Wallace D. Wattles in The Science of Getting Rich claims that all of us can obtain enough wealth to live as we desire and to fulfill our purpose in life.
The normal desire for increased wealth is not an evil or a disgraceful thing; it is simply the desire for more abundant life; it is an aspiration.
About The Book –
Wallace claims there exists a science of getting rich and like algebra or arithmetic, once this science is understood and replicated, it will create wealth. Wealth is as infinite as the creative mind. Create ideas, take action and abundance will flow with mathematical certainty.
The science of getting rich is more of a practice manual for accumulating wealth, than philosophical theory. He expects readers to accept fundamental statements upon faith, act upon them without hesitation or fear. He had given few philosophical references for skeptics to refer to.
Men and Women in all localities, business, job, or vocation has success and failure. The income of two people does vary in the same vocation and it is because the people who succeed do think and act in a certain way.
Few Key Points From the Book
1) Body, Mind and Soul –
There are three motives for which we live; we live for the body, we live for the mind, we live for the soul. No one of three is better or holier than the other; all are alike desirable, and no one of the three-body, mind, or soul can live fully if either is cut short of full life and expression.
2) Three Things to Consider –
Consider below fundamental statement upon faith and let it ingrained in your mind. These three statements are the basis of the whole book and formula. Read it carefully and contemplate on it well.
- First – There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, infuses, penetrates, and fills the inter spaces of the universe.
- Second – A thought, in this substance, produces the thing that is imaged by the thought.
- Third – Man can form things in his thought, and, by impressing his thought upon formless substance, can cause the thing he thinks about to be created.
3) How Riches Comes to You –
- You cannot give every man more in cash market value than your take from him, but your can give him more in use value than the cash value of the thing your take from him.
- Give every man more in use value than you take from him in cash value; then you are adding to the life of the world by every business transaction.
4) Gratitude –
- The whole process of mental adjustment and atonement can be summed up in one word, Gratitude.
- First, your believe that there is one Intelligent Substance, from which all things proceed.
- Second, your believe that this Substance gives your everything you desire.
- Third, your relate yourself to it by a feeling of deep and profound gratitude.
5) Thinking in a Certain Way –
- Wallace explain thinking in certain way meaning to clarify what exactly we want, make a picture or situation clear in mind, see yourself doing it and believe it is done. He further clarifies that you must spend as much of your leisure time as you can in contemplating your picture.
- Behind your clear vision must be the purpose to realize it; to bring it out in tangible expression. You may consider this 15 Minutes Manifestation Program.
- And behind this purpose must be an invincible and unwavering FAITH that the thing is already yours; that it is “at hand” and your have only to take possession of it.
- One does not need to repeat every day what one want in affirmation, but needs to hold the picture of outcome constantly and live in mind of its manifestation while working and in leisure time.
6) Act in Certain Way –
- Wallace explains that thinking in a Certain Way will bring riches to you, but you must not rely upon thought alone, and pay equal attention to personal action.
- He suggests that we act now in the path of our vision, irrespective of our current scenario and not wait for ideal situation or time to act. As we take first step in faith with resources at available at the time, path will be created and we will be directed towards our vision.
7) How To Use Will –
- Wallace explains that man don’t have to use his will physically or mentally on others and make them do things, however use your mind to form a mental image of what you want, and hold that vision with faith and purpose; and use your will to keep your mind working in the Right Way.
- The more steady and continuous your faith and purpose, the more rapidly you will get rich, because your will make only POSITIVE impressions upon Substance; and you will not neutralize or offset them by negative impressions.
- Since belief is all important, it is necessary to guard your thoughts; and your beliefs will be shaped to a great extent by the things your observe and think about, it is important that your should command your attention.
8) Efficient Action –
Few Suggestions For Acting Efficiently –
- You must use your thought in certain way, and begin to do what you can do, wherever your are; with available resources.
- The world is advanced only by those who more than fill their present places.
- Do all that you do in a perfect manner every day, but do it without haste, worry, or fear. Go as fast as your can, but never hurry.
- Remember that the moment you begin to hurry, you cease to be a creator and become a competitor; you drop back upon the old plane again.
9) Getting Into Right Business –
- Wallace suggests that it is important that one chooses work which he is suited for and having said that it doesn’t mean he cannot learn new things.
- If any vocation that is outside your current work, your may start learning about it and move in to that gradually, as nothing speeds up the prosperity but work that makes you feel great.
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my YouTube channel – Myread4change
This small book of hardly 70 pages is worth your time and implement the lesson. You will get simple-to-follow information and take your step closer to your dream of living a more fulfilling, rich life.
I recommend your read this book at least a few times and implement the lessons you learn in it.
If you like this book, You will like the book “The Complete Game of life and how to play it” by Florence Scovel Shinn.
You may download a Free E-book copy of The Science of Getting Rich here.
Please do share your feedback/suggestion of this book summary or if you have any questions and I will be glad to respond.
Thank you for reading. Wish you a Rich Life.