Book – The Wim Hof Method, Activate your full Human Potential – (Review)
Author – Wim Hof
Genre – Self-help Book
Published in – 2020
After watching one of Wim Hof, aka Ice Man’s videos on YouTube, I picked this book and got hooked on the text and his teachings of the cold shower, breathing, and Meditation.
The Wim Hof method consists of basic natural practices, which are simple to teach daily, with numerous benefits.
You can safely practice the Wim Hof Method at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home. No pills, injections, vitamins, supplements, equipment, or specialty diets of any kind are required— all you need is yourself and a desire to unlock your body’s hidden potential.
About Wim Hof –
Wim Hof is also known as ‘ICE MAN,” a Dutch extreme athlete noted for his ability to withstand freezing temperatures.
He has set numerous Guinness World records, like swimming under ice and prolonged full-body contact with ice, and still holds the record for a barefoot half-marathon on ice and snow.
He attributes these feats to his Wim Hof Method (WHM), a combination of frequent cold exposure, breathing techniques, and Meditation.
About the Book –
The Wim Hof method book is a hands-on guide whether you want to increase your vitality, strengthen your immune system, become more joyful, feel alive, focused, energetic, or want to combat anxiety and stress. The Wim Hof method has got you covered.
Wim Hof claims his method will help anyone become Strong, Healthy, and Happy.
The Wim Hof Method consists of three parts. 1 Exposure to Cold (through cold shower), 2 Breathing (Breathing Exercises), 3 Mindset (To commit to practice).
The Wim Hof Method Overview
1) Exposure to Cold –
As Wim Hof puts it, “Cold showers a day, keep a doctor away.”
- Wim advises taking a cold shower. Within ten days, one can see great results like lower heartbeat between 15 to 30 beats per minute, and it remains that way twenty-four hours a day, causing less stress in daily life.
- Understanding that our heart rate increases whenever our body experiences stress is essential. That sends a primordial signal to the body to activate adrenaline and cortisol, which sets off a series of biochemical processes that exhaust your adrenal axis, our energy, because we’re in poor vascular condition. Our heart needs to pump more and work harder.
Cold Shower Way –
- Start with 15 to 30 seconds of cold water and increase the week to 2 minutes and more within four weeks. Once this habit is developed, you can go into a cold shower without any shivering feeling.
- Try this for ten days. End your bath with a cold shower and increase exposure as you go along. Within ten days, you’ll be way more comfortable with cold than you began with.
- Various methods are given for different conditions; all can be done at home and don’t require much time and equipment.
2) Breathing –
- Breathing exercise in The Wim Hof method is straightforward yet very powerful and backed its claims with various scientific studies done over the years.
- From helping in curing numerous on-the-rise diseases like anxiety, bipolar, depression, arthritis, and asthma to reaching our peak potentials, these simple breathing technique is potent.
- He also removes concerns of many, like breathing from mouth or nose. He advises you to live; however, he is comfortable with you. The idea is to reach the depths of the lungs.
Breathing Technique –
- Begin the day with breathing exercises before breakfast.
- Take thirty to forty deep breaths, inhale, and exhale. Don’t try so hard; keep it regular.
- Retain the breath for thirty seconds and gradually increase retention with further rounds.
3) Mindset –
- The third pillar of the method is mindset. He calls this pillar “commitment” in his training programs because you must have the right attitude to commit to go against your ego and take the damn shower just to breathe.
- You could also call this pillar the power of the mind. It includes the will and the power to imagine, meditate, and visualize.
Wim Hof Methods for Various Concerns –
The book shares WHM (Wim Hof Method) practices in many aspects. To name a few –
- The Wim Hof way to get Warm.
- The Wim Hof Way to Meditation.
- WHM and Breast Cancer.
- WHM and Sexual Performance.
- WHM and Chronic Pain.
- Breathing exercises for mood regulation.
I have started taking cold showers and doing breathing exercises over a week, and I am feeling too stressed and able to keep calm throughout the day.
I highly recommend the book, and check out his videos on YouTube or his site for more information. These methods are free to use with little time commitment, and there is nothing to lose but to gain so much.
Do share your feedback/suggestions in the comments of this review, or if you have any questions, I will gladly respond.
If you like reading this book, you may also enjoy reading IKIGAI (The Japanese secret to a long and happy life)
I wish you a life full of Strength, Health, and Happiness.