Book – The Complete Game of Life and How to Play it (Summary)
Author – Florence Scovel Shinn (With Chris Gentry)
Genre – Self-help Book
OInitiallypublished in – 1925 as (The Game of Life and How to Play It)
The Game of Life is a game of boomerangs. Man’s thoughts, deeds, and words return to him sooner or later, with astounding accuracy.
I loved how LIFE has been elaborated into Love, Intuition, Fear, and Expectation. Intuition has been broken down to In-Tuition (Being taught from within).
The author expresses that most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle but a game. Game of giving and receiving. What man sends out in words and deeds will return to him. And any game can’t be played well without understanding the rules.
Life being the most crucial game, it’s worth learning and playing well to get the best out of it. As they say, you only live once; once is enough if you do it right.
About the Author –
Florence Scovel Shinn was an American artist and book illustrator who became a new thought spiritual teacher. She shot to fame as a writer and lecturer after the ost-publication of her books “The Game of Life and How to Play It” in 1925 and “Your Word Is Your Wand” In 1928.
About the Book –
The author explains the Power of the mind, thoughts, and words in our life, and this is by far the best book I have read on the subject, similar to the law of attraction, where in-laws of nature are laid down as simply as they can get to understand and apply.
Principles consist of quotes from the Bible and explanations of the author’s understanding of God and man, providing numerous real-life experiences of self and her students with these principles.
A few laws and Principle From the Book
1) LAW OF PROSPERITY –
Imaging faculty plays the most significant role in the game of life, meaning whatever man imagines externalizes in his life sooner or later. Hence, creating good images for continually externalizing the desired circumstances in life is essential.
To train imaging faculty, understanding the mind is necessary. Florence divides the mind into three parts: Subconscious, Conscious, and Super Conscious.
- Subconscious – The subconscious is simply Power without direction. It is like steam or electricity and does what it is directed to; it has no induction power.
- Conscious – mind is the human or rational mind that sees life as it is. It sees images and impresses on the subconscious mind.
- Super Conscious – The superconscious mind is God’s Mind within each man and is the realm of perfect ideas.
2) THE POWER OF WORDS –
- As they say, we understand thoughts through words. Listen to man’s words to know his thought process, and his conditions will be well justified whether it is excellent in all aspects or struggling.
- Here is an example – I stay in Dubai, where parking is tight in certain areas. Since I am driving a car, I always get parking no matter what time, as I always say I get parking all the time. On the other hand, I have heard people saying there is too much rush, they never get parking, and the result is evident.
- There is an old saying that man only dares use his words for three purposes: to “heal, bless or prosper.” What man says of others will be said of him, and what he wishes for others, he wishes for himself.
3) THE POWER OF FAITH –
- The Power of faith has been explained well with lucky things like a horseshoe or rabbit’s foot. Our faith behind things like those rather than those things itself expectancy in our subconscious mind and attracts a desired result. Hence, the Power is in the confidence of a higher self, not in the object.
- One great line – Faith can move mountains. Doubt can create them.
4) THE LAW OF KARMA AND THE LAW OF FORGIVENESS –
- This line made me think that the more man knows, the more he is responsible for, and a person with a knowledge of Spiritual Law, which he does not practice, suffers greatly.
- Every man is a golden link in the chain of my good;- This is another thought that made me think. Everyone is there for a reason, like it or not. See their interest and learn the lesson they have shown up for.
- Man cannot desire something he is not. You can’t expect to stay in good health if you constantly eat junk, have addictions, and indulge in weakening thoughts.
5) INTUITION OR GUIDANCE –
- Intuition is a spiritual faculty and does not explain but points the way. Sometimes, we feel like making specific things, and the mind resists all the logic otherwise. We still do it and later realize it was the right thing to do or brought us closer to our goal.
- Ask, and ye shall receive. We must ask for what we want and a definite lead to let us know if we can do anything. The universe has ways to guide us to act, go, and do something specific.
6) PERFECT SELF-EXPRESSION OR THE DEVINE DESIGN –
- There is someplace to fill, some objective for all men. Hence, it should be man’s highest demand to let this divine design be expressed to him.
- His demand should be: “Infinite Spirit, open the way for the Divine Design of my life to manifest; let the genius within me now be released; let me see the perfect plan.”
- Perfect self-expression will never be labor but of such absorbing interest that it will seem almost like a play. Like all Power, be it steam or electricity, it must have a nonresistant engine or instrument to work through, and man is that engine or tool.
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the book – I hope you like it. Please subscribe to my YYouTubechannel – Myread4change.
Overall, the Game of Life hasn’t changed these years, but this book is a game-changer. Expect it to change you and your life for the better.
Post-reading this book, you will certainly feel light and compelled to consider putting principles in practice for suggestions that are logical and straightforward to apply for the one seeking and open for guidance to a better life.
If you like this book, you will like Master Key System as well.
Please share your feedback/suggestions on this summary or any questions about this book, and I will gladly answer.
I wish you a life full of manifested dreams.