Book – The Complete Game of Life and How to Play it (Summary)
Author – Florence Scovel Shinn (With Chris Gentry)
Genre – Self- help Book
Originally published in – 1925 as (The Game of Life and How to Play It)
The Game of Life is a game of boomerangs. Man’s thoughts, deeds, and words return to him sooner or later, with astounding accuracy.
Loved the way LIFE has been elaborated to Love, Intuition, Fear, and Expectation. Intuition has been broken down to In-Tuition (Being taught from within).
The author expresses most people consider life a battle, but life is not a battle, it is a game. Game of giving and receiving. What man sends out in words and deeds, will return to him. And any game can’t be played well without understanding the rules.
Life being the most important game it’s worth learning and playing it well to get the best out of it. As they say you only live once and if you do it right once is enough.
About the Author –
Florence Scovel Shinn was an American artist and book illustrator who became a new thought spiritual teacher. She shot to fame as a writer and lecturer post-publication of her books “The game of life and how to play it” in 1925 and “Your word is your wand” In 1928.
About the Book –
The author explains the power of the mind, thoughts, and words in our life and this is by far the best book I have read on the subject similar to the law of attraction, where in-laws of natures are laid down as simply as they can get to understand and apply.
Principles consist of many quotes from the Bible and explanations of the author’s understanding of God and man with providing numerous real-life experiences of self and her students with these principles.
Few laws and Principle From the Book
1) LAW OF PROSPERITY –
Imaging faculty plays the biggest role in the game of life meaning whatever man imagines, sooner or later externalizes in his life. Hence, it’s important to create good images for continually externalizing the desired circumstances in life.
To train imaging faculty, understanding the mind is necessary. Florence divides mind into three parts, Subconscious, Conscious, Super Conscious.
- Subconscious – The subconscious, is simply power, without direction. It is like steam or electricity and it does what it is directed to do; it has no induction power.
- Conscious – mind is the human mind or rational mind rather and sees life as it is. It sees images and impresses on sub-conscious mind.
- Super Conscious – The super conscious mind is the God’s Mind within each man, and is the realm of perfect ideas.
2) THE POWER OF WORDS –
- As they say, we understand thoughts through words. Listen to man’s words to know his thought process and his conditions will be well justified. Whether it is great in all aspects or struggling.
- Here is an example – I stay in Dubai, where parking is tight in certain areas. Since the time I am driving a car, I always get parking no matter what time, as I always say that I get parking all the time. On the other hand, I have heard people saying there is too much rush, they never get parking and result is evident.
- There is an old saying that man only dares use his words for three purposes, to “heal, bless or prosper.” What man says of others will be said of him, and what he wishes for others, he wishes for himself.
3) THE POWER OF FAITH –
- Power of faith has been explained well with lucky things like horse shoe, or rabbit’s foot. It is our faith behind things like those rather than those things itself that set expectancy in our subconscious mind and attracts a desired result. Hence, the power is in the faith on higher self not in object.
- One great line – Faith can move mountains. Doubt can create them.
4) THE LAW OF KARMA AND THE LAW OF FORGIVENESS –
- This line made me thinking – The more man knows, the more he is responsible for, and a person with a knowledge of Spiritual Law, which he does not practice, suffers greatly, in consequence.
- Every man is a golden link in the chain of my good, – This one is another thought that made me thinking. Everyone in our life is there for a reason, like it or not. See the good in them and learn the lesson for which, they have showed up.
- Man cannot desire something he is not. You can’t expect to stay in good health if you are constantly eating junk, got addictions, and indulge in weakening thoughts.
5) INTUITION OR GUIDANCE –
- Intuition is a spiritual faculty and does not explain, but simply points the way. There are times when we feel like doing specific thing and mind resist with all the logic otherwise. We still do it and later realize it was the right thing to do or brought us closer to our goal.
- Ask and ye shall receive. We must ask for what we want along with a definite lead to let us know if there is anything for us to do. Universe has ways in which it will guide to act, go, and do something specific.
6) PERFECT SELF-EXPRESSION OR THE DEVINE DESIGN –
- There is some place to fill, some objective to be achieved for all men. Hence, it should be man’s highest demand to let this divine design expressed to him.
- His demand should be: “Infinite Spirit, open the way for the Divine Design of my life to manifest; let the genius within me now be released; let me see clearly the perfect plan.”
- Perfect self-expression will never be labor; but of such absorbing interest that it will seem almost like play. Like all Power, be it steam or electricity, it must have a nonresistant engine or instrument to work through, and man is that engine or instrument.
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my Youtube channel – Myread4change.
Overall these years, the Game of Life hasn’t changed; but this book is a game-changer. Expect it to change you and your life for the best.
Post-reading this book you will certainly feel light and compelled to consider putting principles in practice for suggestions are not only logical but also simple to apply for the one who is seeking and open for guidance to a better life.
Please share your feedback/suggestion of this summary or if you have any questions about this book and I will be glad to answer.
Wish you a life full of manifested dreams.