Book – The Slight Edge (Summary)
Author – Jeff Olson
Genre – Self-help Book
Published in – 2005
“No success is immediate, no collapse is sudden. They are both the result of the slight edge accruing momentum over time”.
Slight edge guides and encourages to slow it down, have patience with self when working on change, growth, goals and have faith in compounding effect of daily simple acts done over time.
Jeff promotes concept of growth in “Interim Period” over “Quantum leap” and one reason the slight edge is so widely ignored, unnoticed, and undervalued is that our culture tends to worship the idea of the “big break.”
There is a natural progression to success: plant, cultivate, harvest—and the central step, cultivate, can only happen over the course of time.
About the Author –
JEFF OLSON has spoken to more than a thousand audiences throughout the United States and around the world.
Over the past thirty years he has helped hundreds of thousands of individuals achieve better levels of financial freedom and personal excellence.
Jeff describes himself as “a perpetual student of personal development,” and he is as devoted to health and happiness as he is to personal and financial success.
About the Book –
Slight Edge deglamorize so called overnight success, big/magic breaks. It not only introduce, but also make readers embrace the concept of daily disciplines.
Your philosophy is what you know, how you hold it, and how it affects what you do. How you think about simple, everyday things. That’s what this book is about.
The Slight Edge is written in two parts. 1) How Slight edge works, 2) Living the Slight Edge. Here are few important topics from both sections.
PART I – How Slight Edge Work
1) Why Information Doesn’t Work –
- you already know how to do everything it takes to make you an outrageous success. That’s how you’ve survived up to this point. And if you can survive, then you can also succeed.
- If you don’t change how you think about simple everyday things, then no amount of how-to’s will get you anywhere or deliver any success.
2) The Choice –
- The choices we make, makes all the difference, the things you do every single day, the things that don’t look dramatic, that don’t even look like they matter, do matter. That they not only make a difference—they make all the difference.
- We can choose to ignore simple stuff here and there and before we know it compounds in big trouble or we can choose to stick with daily things and reap the benefits of compounding in long term.
3) Master the Mundane –
Jeff explains even though most people know what they need to do, simple daily things, only 5% are doing it and as a result only 5% are having life of their dreams.
Jim Rohn’s quote explains this gap with his amazing quote –The simple things that lead to success are all easy to do. But they’re also just as easy not to do.
Jeff gives following reason of why 95% people don’t do simple things.
- Reason #1: They’re Easy to Do – Things that really matters seems very easy.
- Reason #2: The Results Are Invisible – You don’t see the growth instantly, be it diet or gym or any skill.
- Reason #3: They Seem Insignificant – Thinking small things don’t matter. Like reading 10 pages of good book for a month or year.
5) The Power of Time –
- consistently repeated daily actions + time = in conquerable results.
- You supply the actions; the universe will supply the time. The trick is to choose the actions that, when multiplied by this universal amplifier, will yield the result you want. To position your everyday actions so time works for you, and not against you.
Jeff suggests happy habits that is perfect partner to slight edge concept for better results, since people are more interested in being happy than anything else.
- Each morning, write down three things you’re grateful for.
- Journal for two minutes a day about one positive experience you’ve had over the past twenty-four hours.
- Meditate daily. You may consider this 3 Minute Meditation Program if meditation is new to you.
- Do a random act of kindness over the course of each day.
- Exercise for fifteen minutes daily.
PART II – Living the Slight Edge
1) Blame and Responsibility –
- Taking responsibility liberates you; in fact, it is perhaps the single most liberating thing there is. Even when it hurts, even when it doesn’t seem fair. When you don’t take responsibility, when you blame others, circumstances, fate, or chance, you give away your power.
- As John Burroughs put it , “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.” Don’t complain about what you allow.
2) Four Rules of Mastering Slight Edge –
- The Power of Momentum: Steady wins the race. Stay on course with your daily actions.
- The Power of Completion: Clear out your undone and incomplete.
- The Power of Reflection: Facing the man or woman in the mirror.
- The Power of Celebration: Catch yourself doing something right.
3) Cultivate Slight Edge Habits –
As they say, we build habits and then habits build us. We develop habits by our daily choices, action. It may be easier said than done, yet it is in our control to let of go bad habits and replace them with good ones that empower us.
Jeff suggests seven steps to build solid habits.
- Habit #1 Show Up.
- Habit #2 Be Consistent.
- Habit #3 Have a Positive Outlook.
- Habit #4 Be Committed for the Long Haul.
- Habit #5 Cultivate a Burning Desire Backed by Faith.
- Habit #6 Be Willing to Pay the Price.
- Habit #7 Practice Slight Edge Integrity.
4) Three Steps to Your Dreams –
- There are many ways to set goals and different people or rather successful people put it differently. Jeff as keeping slight edge theme to goal setting, which is its simplicity and easiness to adopt offers three stops to goal setting.
- Make it specific, Give it a deadline, Write it down. You must look at it every day and have a plan to begin.
- The Power of a plan is not that it will get you there. The Power of a plan is that it will get you started.
I have also created video of few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my You Tube channel – Myread4change
Slight Edge will put you in position to let go hope of big break, embrace the power of small daily consistent actions and empower you to achieve all your goals, while enjoying the whole ride.
you may download free E-book from here.
If you like this book, you may also like the book ‘The One Thing‘, which help you narrow down steps you can take in present moment to achieve your goals.
Please share your feedback of Slight Edge in comment section or if you have any questions and I will gladly answer them.
Thank you for your time.