Book – What You Seek is Seeking You (Summary)
Author – Brain Tracy & Azim Jamal
Genre – Self -help
First Published – 2015
If it is bread that you seek, you will have bread, if it is the soul you seek, you will find the soul. If you understand this secret, you know you are that you seek.– Rumi (12th Century Sufi Poet)
What You Seek is Seeking You is about the story of two strangers who meet at the airport. The CEO and an Artist, who happened to share table at airport café while waiting for flight.
Soon normal conversation turns in to how fear hinders exploring and living life to the fullest and people hesitate to be themselves to be liked, even though being authentic is the heart of long term success and meaningful relationship.
About the Book –
As they speak further about their purpose of travel to Turkey, Artist reveals about Sufi festival that she is going to attend. CEO finds it very intriguing by how he was talking about topics he rarely heard with stranger yet he continues to inquire more and listen to her with great interest.
Artist explains further about festival, about its origin and how it is celebrated and significance of it. She also explains how in particular ritual followers get in meditative trance through whirling.
Many coincidence good or bad is directing us in our desired direction directly or indirectly, As Albert Einstein puts it “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous”.
Few Key Points From the Book –
1) Impact of Meditation –
As, they both take off for Turkey, topics of awareness continues and an artist mentions about Meditation. How meditation can be immensely helpful in bringing awareness.
Meditation is helpful in many ways like able to make better decision, staying in state of harmony and balance. Meditation is no longer limited to monks and it has high acceptance in society and people benefit from it in personal as well as professional life.
Anyone can start meditation with as little as 5 minutes and get better at it with time and there are many ways it can be done and one may choose that suites him.
If you are new to meditation or think don’t have time, you may consider this 3 Minutes Meditation Program. I am sure it will help you get started on the path of meditation.
2) Finding Meaning in Tragedy –
It is very easy to dwell in past tragedy as Artist shares her childhood strategy, how she was finally able to detach from it and live life to the fullest. The time it takes to find meaning in tragedy depends on how early we are able to learn from it or let go of it so that it doesn’t ruin our present and future.
Great examples of people and organization is shared in the book where breakdowns were turned in to breakthroughs.
3) Unleashing The Power Within –
Idea of searching within ourselves what matters most to us and how we define self with mostly work, possessions and live life to be successful in others eye. While, competing with others we often fail to realize what we like to do.
As they move on further to journey they speak about various topics like office politics, benefits of receiving and how receiving and taking help is not sign of weakness rather it’s sign of strength, overcoming the fear of stepping in to unknown and defending our comfort zone.
Every chapter ends connecting story with real life and put some questions to ponder over and actions we can take. The one I really liked is –
- Do you often compare yourself to others? If so, why?
- In a typical day, what do you spend most of your time thinking about: the past, the future? Something else? Reflect on why your focus is where it is.
4) One statement That Really Stood Out From The Book –
UNDERSTAND that nothing is yours, whether it is a child, a job or money. You were born with nothing and you cannot take anything with you when you die. It has been given to you as a gift during your lifetime. Enjoy it and appreciate it while you have it.
Few Takeaways From The Book –
- Stay tuned to coincidences as they always push us in our desired direction. We may not like certain situation and yet we should look for what is it trying to tell us?
- When unwanted changes happen look beyond them and see the opportunity they do contain.
- Putting tasks on auto pilot is efficiency, though often this also gets our thoughts, our fear, and our opinion on auto pilot. Hence, it is vital to keep questioning our beliefs time to time.
- Awareness is achieved through active listening – listening with your eyes, ears and heart. Give your undivided attention and remain non-judgmental.
- Writing in journal can be of great help in developing awareness. One can write anything from gratitude to any particular experience, any memorable incident, and situation handled well or could have been handled well and start with as little as 5 to 10 minutes a day to inculcate this habit.
- Staying present in present can improve our productivity and help us refrain from alluring distraction, like gossip, checking social media feeds to name a few and get the work that matters done.
- Idea of Power Hour – First hour in the morning – 20 Minutes each for exercise, reading, meditation.
I have also created video of few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my You tube channel – Myread4change
What you seek is seeking you through engaging story touches every area of life from discovering self, transforming fear, giving, receiving, sales, and relationship. Questions suggested in books are mind opening and can help us in broaden our perspective.
Hope this helps you in some way. Please share your suggestions/feedback in the comments.
Wish you a Great Success!!