Book – The 4 Disciplines of Execution
Author – Chris McChesney, Sean Covey, and Jim Huling
Genre – Self-help Book
Published in – 2012
“Whenever you see a man on top of a mountain, you can be sure he didn’t fall there.”The 4 Discipline of Execution
Have you ever wondered about books on Find out your WHY are more popular than HOW TO?
Since WHY is all about thinking, and not required you to move, whereas HOW TO books will require you to take action.
Out of many HOW TO books I have read, this is by far the best book since it allowed me to focus on something I can control, and see the growth.
We all set goals, and reason out our WHY, yet most of the time we don’t achieve our goals or achieve them with difficulties.
The Authors claim that we can achieve any goal be it personal, or in the office with small or large teams with the 4 Discipline of Execution or as the Authors call it “4DX”
I must agree that the book delivered what it committed.
About the Book –
Whether you are tired of setting goals and coming short of the results or looking for a more effective way to accomplish the goal, You can expect a full guide in the book.
The 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX) is a simple, repeatable, and proven formula for executing your most important strategic priorities in the midst of the whirlwind.
The authors claim the below reasons for failure after setting a goal.
People aren’t sure what the goal is, aren’t committed to it, don’t know what to do about it specifically, and aren’t being held accountable for it.
The book shares the Four disciplines and divides the book into three sections.
Section 1 – “The 4 Disciplines of Execution,” presents a thorough understanding of the 4 Disciplines.
Section 2 – “Installing 4DX with Your Team,” is designed like a field guide.
Section 3 – “Installing 4DX in Your Organization,” provides you with some rules of the road that have evolved from a real-time implementation.
Section I – The 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX)
Let’s understand the Four Disciplines of Execution, which authors refer to as 4DX –
Discipline 1 – Wildly Important Goal (WIG)
- The first discipline is to focus your finest effort on max one or two goals that will make all the difference.
- When it comes to setting goals, the law of diminishing returns is as real as the law of gravity. So stick to one or two max.
Few rules for identifying Wildly Important Goals.
Rule #1 – We must focus on a maximum of two WIGs at the same time.
Rule #2 – The task we choose must contribute to the goal. Instead of the big to-do list, focus on what are the fewest number of battles necessary to win the war.
Rule #3 – All WIGs must have a finish line in the form of from X to Y by when.
Discipline 2 – Act On The Lead Measures –
Authors claim there are two measures of tracking GOAL –
- Lag Measure – It measures the results.
- Lead Measure – It measures the activities that lead to the Goal, which is something we can influence.
Discipline 3 – Keep a Compelling Scoreboard –
As they say, what gets measured, gets done. There are four characteristics of the compelling scoreboard.
- Is it simple? It has to be simple.
- Can I see it easily? It has to be visible to the team.
- Does it show lead and lag measures?
- Can I tell at a glance if I’m winning?
Discipline 4 – Create a Credence of Accountability –
- This is the discipline that brings the team members altogether, and that is why it incorporates the other disciplines.
- Discipline 4 is where execution actually happens. As it is said in the book, Disciplines 1, 2, and 3 set up the game; but until you apply Discipline 4, your team isn’t in the game.
Three Core Content of the WIG Weekly Accountability Meeting –
- Account – Report on the committed lead measures.
- Review the Scoreboard – Learn from Success and Failure.
- Plan – Clear the path and make new commitments.
Section II – Installing 4DX With Your Team –
Installing 4DX involves behavioral changes, which is one of the most difficult tasks. The author claims that any changes go through five stages.
Getting clear, Launch, Adoption, Optimization, and Habits.
4DX is habit forming: Once the new behaviors become ingrained in the day-to-day operation, you can set new goals and still execute with excellence again and again.
Here are a few ideas on how to install 4DX –
1) Installing Discipline 1: Focus on the Wildly Important –
- Define the WIG.
- Keep it simple.
- Focus on what, not how.
2) Installing Discipline 2: Act on Lead Measures –
There are two types of lead measures.
- Small Outcomes are lead measures where small actions have to be performed, however, there is the liberty of how to do that as long as it is done.
- Leveraged behavior on the other hand is a particular action that is required to be achieved by the whole team as it is.
- Both types of lead measures are equally valid applications of Discipline 2 and are powerful drivers of results.
3) Installing Discipline 3: Act on Lead Measures –
People play differently when they are keeping the scores. The authors suggest four steps for an effective scoreboard.
Step 1: Choose a Theme
Step 2: Design the Scoreboard
Step 3: Build the Scoreboard
Step 4: Keep It Updated
4) Installing Discipline 4: Accountability –
Few ways to make accountability meetings effective.
- All commitments in WIG are personal responsibility. All members should take personal responsibility for their part.
- Keep the sessions brief.
- Post the scorecard.
- Celebrate success.
- Clear the path for each other.
Section III – Installing 4DX in your organization –
In this section, Author advises a few points while installing 4DX, especially in big teams.
- First, design your implementation to fit your culture.
- Second, realize that it’s harder to implement the 4 Disciplines in an organization that’s already very successful.
- Third, the senior leader must focus on holding all leaders accountable.
- Fourth, make sure you have the infrastructure to support your Implementation.
- Fifth, remember that implementing the 4 Disciplines will raise the engagement of your team.
Whether you are an individual struggling with implementing and measuring your tasks or handling a big team, The 4DX will make your implementation smoother and easy to track.
I highly recommend the 4 Disciplines of Execution for sorting the HOW TO part of your goals.
You may consider visiting the 4dxbook website for more insight on the topic.
If you like this book, you may also like The 1% Rule book which shares amazing implementation insights.
Hope this book summary helped in you some way.
Thank you for reading.
Your Fellow Reader,
16 thoughts on “The 4 Discipline of Execution Book Summary I “How To” Book”
Jessica Sage is a good porn legend from United Claims.
Our records show that Jessica Sage is lively which signifies she will be nevertheless producing videos right now, carrying out friendly
presents, and performing photo tries for a takedown. She has happened to be camming and developing information since Jul.
2017. She possesses since come to be nominated for 3 awards and has happened to be included in numerous magazines,
like: Glamour, Men’s Well being, Kinkly, and YNOT.
I used to be suggested this website through my cousin. I am no
longer sure whether or not this post is written by him as no one
else understand such distinctive approximately my trouble.
You are amazing! Thank you!
This was beautiful Admin. Thank you for your reflections.
This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your site on my social networks!
It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d
definitely donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose
for now I’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my
Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with
my Facebook group. Talk soon!
Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.
I will right away take hold of your rss feed as I can’t in finding your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognise so that I may subscribe. Thanks.
I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I’m no longer certain whether this post is written through him ass nobody else recognises such specific
approximately my difficulty. You are wonderful!
Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished
to say that I have really loved surfing your weblog posts.
After all, I will be subscribing to your feed and I’m hoping you write again soon!
I have been surfing online for more than 3 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all
web owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
the neet will be a lot more useful than ever before.
Hi to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this webpage;
this weblog carries amazing and actually good material
in favor of readers.
Excellent weblog right here! Additionally your web site lots up very fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate link to your host? I want my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol
We love the way you write. Your article is simple to follow and understand. Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Thank you Marianna for the comment.
I amm realloy lving the theme/design of your wweb site.
Do yyou ever run nto any wweb browser compatibility issues?
A small number off myy blkog audience have complained abut my website not
operafing ccorrectly in Explorerr but lookls great in Safari.
Do you haave any tios to help fix this problem?