Book – The Obstacle is the Way (Quotes)
Author – Ryan Holiday
Genre – Self–Help
Published – 2014
The Obstacle is the Way, written by Ryan Holiday, is of ruthless pragmatism and stories that illustrate relentless Persistence. The author has divided an Obstacle into three parts – Perception, Action, and Will. He has explained each with engaging and inspiring anecdotes.
The book contains insights, quotes, and lines that will inspire and reinstate your gusto about things you are working on.
Here are 27 quotes for overcoming life’s obstacles.
1. “Setbacks or problems are always expected and never permanent. We are making sure that what can empower us.
2. “The Obstacle in the path becomes the path. Never forget, within every Obstacle is an opportunity to improve our conditions.”
3. “What matters most is not what these obstacles are; but how we see them, react to them, and whether we keep our composure.”
4. “Choose not to be harmed – and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed – and you haven’t been” – Marcus Aurelius
5. “It is no good or bad without us; only perception exists. There is the event and the story we tell ourselves about what it means. We decide what story to tell ourselves. Or whether we will tell one at all.”
6. “Don’t forget, there are always people out there looking to get you. They want to intimidate you. Rattle you. Pressure you into deciding before you’ve got all the facts. They want you to think and act on their terms, not yours.”
7. “When you worry, ask yourself, ‘What am I choosing not to see right now? What important things are you missing because you chose worry over introspection, alertness, or wisdom? Put another way: “Does getting upset provide you with more options?”
8. “Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become the next moment. Every human being has the freedom to change at any instant” – Victor Frankl
9. “The difference between the right and the wrong perspective is everything. Though, of course, we don’t control reality, our perceptions do influence it.”
10. “There is good in everything if only we look for it” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
11. “Problems are rarely as bad as we think – or rather, precisely as bad as we think.“
12. “A clearer head makes for steadier hands.”
13. “Persist and Resist” Persist in your effort. Resist giving in to distraction, discouragement, or disorder” – Epictetus
14. “Your first attempts aren’t going to work. It will take a lot out of you – But energy is an asset we can always find more of. It’s a renewable resource. Stop looking for an epiphany and start looking for weak points. Stop looking for angels and start looking for angles.“
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the book – I hope you like it. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel – Myread4change.
15. “Failure is a Feature. Failure can be an asset if you’re trying to improve, learn, or do something new.”
16. ” In a world where we increasingly work for ourselves, are responsible for ourselves, it makes sense to view ourselves like a start-up – A start-up of ONE.”
17″ Like any good school, learning from Failure isn’t free. The tuition is paid in discomfort or loss and having to start over.”
18. “Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s definition of Stoics. “Transforms fear into prudence, pain into transformation, mistakes into initiation, and desire into undertaking.”
19. “Don’t think small, but distinguish between the critical and the extra. Think Progress, not Perfection.“
20. “Don’t give in to adversity, not trust prosperity, and always take full note of fortune’s habit of behaving just as she pleases” – SENECA
21. “What we can’t do is control the world around us – not as much as we’d like to, anyway. We might perceive things well, then act rightly, and fail anyway. Note this, though. Nothing can ever prevent us from trying. Ever”
22. ” Certain things in life will cut you open like a knife. When that happens – at that exposing moment – the world gets a glimpse of what’s truly inside of you. So what will be revealed when you’re sliced open by tension and pressure? Iron? Or air? Or bullshit?
23. “It’s much easier to control our perceptions and emotions than it is to give our desire to control other people and events.”
24. “We don’t get to choose what happens to us, but we can always choose how we feel about it. And why on earth would you choose to feel anything but good?”
25. “Persistence is an action. Perseverance is a matter of will. One is energy. The other is endurance.
26. ” We don’t control the barriers or the people who put them there. But we control ourselves – and that is sufficient.”
27. ” Behind mountains are more mountains.” One does not overcome an obstacle to enter the land of no obstacles. – Haitian Proverb.
I hope these quotes inspired and pushed you to act on your dreams.
Feel free to share this post with everyone who will benefit from these encouraging words.
I have also written a book review, which you may want to check out. The Obstacle is the Way to Review.
Do share your favorite quote in the comment, whether from above or any other section you look up to in your downtime. I would love to hear from you.
I wish you the strength to handle all the obstacles you may face in your journey to greatness.