Book – The Obstacle is the Way (Quotes)
Author – Ryan Holiday
Genre – Self – Help
Published – 2014
The Obstacle is the Way written by Ryan Holiday is of ruthless pragmatism and stories that illustrate relentless persistence. Author has divided an Obstacle in three parts – Perception, Action, and Will. He has explained each with engaging and inspiring anecdotes.
The book is not only full of insights, but also full of quotes and lines that will inspire and reinstate your gusto about things you are working on.
Here are 27 quotes for overcoming life’s obstacle.
1. “Setbacks or problems are always expected and never permanent. Making certain that what impedes us can empower us.
2. “The Obstacle in the path becomes the path. Never forget, within every obstacle is an opportunity to improve our conditions”
3. “What matters most is not what these obstacles are; but how we see them, how we react to them, and whether we keep our composure”
4. “Choose not to be harmed – and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed – and you haven’t been” – Marcus Aurelius
5. “There is no good or bad without us, there is only perception. There is the event itself and the story we tell ourselves about what it means. We decide what story to tell ourselves. Or whether we will tell one at all”
6. “Don’t forget, there are always people out there looking to get you. The want to intimidate you. Rattle you. Pressure you into making a decision before you’ve gotten all the facts. They want you thinking and acting on their terms, not yours”
7. “When you worry, ask yourself, ‘what am I choosing to not see right now? What important things are you missing because you chose worry over introspection, alertness or wisdom? Put it another way “Does getting upset provide you with more options?”
8. “Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become the next moment. By the same token, every human being has the freedom to change at any instant” – Victor Frankl
9. “The difference between the right and the wrong perspective is everything. Though of course we don’t control reality, our perceptions do influence it”
10. “There is good in everything, if only we look for it” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
11. “Problems are rarely as bad as we think – or rather, they are precisely as bad as we think”
12. “A clearer head makes for steadier hands”
13. “Persist and Resist” Persist in your effort. Resist giving in to distraction, discouragement, or disorder” – Epictetus
14. “Your first attempts aren’t going to work. It’s going to take a lot out of you – But energy is an asset we can always find more of. It’s a renewable resource. Stop looking for an epiphany, and start looking for weak points. Stop looking for angels, and start looking for angles”
I have also created video of few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my YouTube channel – Myread4change
15. ” Failure is a Feature. Failure really can be an asset if what you’re trying to do is improve, learn, or do something new”
16. ” In a world where we increasingly work for ourselves, are responsible for ourselves, it makes sense to view ourselves like a start-up – A start-up of ONE”
17″ Like any good school, learning from failure isn’t free. The tuition is paid in discomfort or loss and having to start over”
18. “Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s definition of Stoics. “Transforms fear in to prudence, pain into transformation, mistakes in to initiation and desire into undertaking”
19. “Don’t think small, but make the distinction between the critical and the extra. Think Progress, not Perfection”
20. “Don’t give in to adversity, not to trust prosperity, and always take full note of fortune’s habit of behaving just as she pleases” – SENECA
21. “What we can’t do is control the world around us – not as much as we’d like to, anyway. We might perceive things well, then act rightly, and fail anyway. Note this though. Nothing can ever prevent us from trying. Ever”
22. ” Certain things in life will cut you open like a knife. When, that happens – at that exposing moment – the world gets a glimpse of what’s truly inside of you. So what will be revealed when you’re sliced open by tension and pressure? Iron? Or air? Or bullshit?
23. “It’s much easier to control our perceptions and emotions than it is to give our desire to control other people and events”
24. “We don’t get to choose what happens to us, but we can always choose how we feel about it. And why on earth would you choose to feel anything but good?”
25. “Persistence is an action. Perseverance is a matter of will. One is energy. The other, endurance.
26. ” We don’t control the barriers or the people who put them there. But we control ourselves – and that is sufficient”
27. ” Behind mountains are more mountains” One does not overcome an obstacle to enter the land of no obstacles. – Haitian Proverb.
Hope these quotes inspired you in someway and push you to act on your dreams.
Feel free to share this post with everyone you feel will be benefited from these encouraging words.
I have also written review of this book, you may want to check out. The Obstacle is the way Review.
Do share your favorite quote in comment whether from above or any other quote you look up to in your down time. I would love to hear from you.
Wish you a great strength to handle all the obstacle you may face in your journey to greatness.