Book – Think and Grow Rich (Summary)
Author – Napoleon Hill
Genre – Self-help Book
Published Year – 1937
Can you think and get rich? The Author assures you can feel and grow wealthy if you read, understand, and apply the principles suggested in the Book.
Think and Grow Rich is one of the best classic books on money and success. The Author Spent More than 20 years analyzing more than 25,000 individuals while researching principles shared in the Book.
Think and Grow Rich was published in the year 1937, which was only after the great depression of 4 to 6 years, and it had reduced all men substantially to the same level. This Book gave everyone the tools to acquire riches.
About the Author –
Napoleon Hill was an American self-help book author. He is best known for his Book Think and Grow Rich, among his other ten bestselling self-help books on improving one’s life through adopting a success-conscious mindset.
About the Book –
The Book shares thirteen money-making secrets in a total of 38 chapters, and the Author claims that a person ready to receive the secret will get it, maybe in the first chapter, last chapter, or anywhere in between.
Synopsis of 13 Principles
1) Desire (Definite Purpose) –
- The Author also calls it Burning Desire and explains through real-life examples of people who achieved what they desired. As theirs was a specific desire, and they were determined to get it.
- Even though they met temporary defeat/failure, they kept going, as that happened to the most successful man who ever succeeded. Being persistent is another trait that these people hold.
2) Faith –
- Definite desire with Faith can help us sustain ourselves, especially in the initial period or when going gets tough, and we are filled with doubt.
- As William James put it, “Our belief at the beginning of doubtful undertaking is the one thing that ensures the successful outcome of our venture.”
3) Auto – Suggestion –
- It’s the signal we send to our subconscious mind through our thinking, feeling, and emotions. It will bring forth whether you deliberately put or let random thoughts get in.
- Hence, we must let it in our subconscious mind. Auto-suggestion or repetition of words means nothing unless mixed with feelings/emotions.
4) Specialized knowledge –
- There are two kinds of knowledge: general/specialized and understanding how to gather certain information to accomplish the desired goal.
- An educated man has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may acquire anything he wants, or its equivalent, without violating the rights of others.”
5) Imagination –
- The Author describes Imagination as a workshop where all impulses and desires are given shape, from, and acted upon before they ever hit the ground.
- Coca-Cola drink conception is an excellent example of the sheer power of Imagination. You May consider this Checking 15 Manifestation program for Manifesting health, wealth, and happiness.
6) Organized Planning –
- As we move on to the sixth step, we have clarity of what we want and have a written statement of what we desire. Pick that goal, create a plan, and work on it.
- One plan may fail, so be ready to create and march on with a new project. Don’t take temporary defeat as a failure.
7) Decision –
- A critical factor in accumulating riches is deciding when the opportunity presents itself. Lack of decision or procrastination are often at the top when failure is met.
- Those who succeed make a decision quickly and change them slowly, if at all, while those who fail to reach a conclusion slowly and change them quickly.
8) Persistence –
- Three chapters are dedicated to “PERSISTENCE” alone, indicating its importance in acquiring money. Be it coming up with a definite desire, building a plan, working on a project, or amending it.
- It is the core of the thirteen principles the Author has shared in the Book. The importance of persistence, lack of it, and how to develop industry is explained well, describing it as a state of mind.
9) Power –
- Power is an organized effort by coordinating two or more people towards a definite end in the spirit of harmony.
- Mastermind group is one way to acquire power through associating differently skilled people.
10) Transmutation –
- The transmutation of sex energy calls for the exercise of willpower, to be sure, but the reward is worth the effort. The desire for sexual expression is inborn and natural.
- It must not be repressed or eliminated. Instead, it should be given an outlet through forms of expression that enrich man’s body, mind, and spirit.
11) The Subconscious Mind –
- The subconscious mind is the link between the finite mind of man and infinite intelligence. It works voluntarily and takes signals from the conscious mind throughout the day, whether positive or negative.
- Hence, It is constantly advised in the Book to write concise plans and always focus on positive outcomes to assist the subconscious mind in accomplishing whatever we set our minds on.
- To understand it better, you may consider reading The Power of Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy.
12) The brain –
- The human brain is both a broadcasting and receiving station for the vibration of thought.
- Creative Imagination is the receiving set of the brain, which receives thoughts released by the brain of others.
13) The Sixth Sense –
- The sixth sense, also called creative Imagination, is a receiving set through which ideas, plans, and thoughts flash into the mind. The flashes are also referred to as hunches or inspiration.
- It defies description! Anyone following the previous twelve principles eventually benefits from this and gets creative solutions for solving problems and new ideas for accomplishing goals.
Caution of narration – Since the Book was researched and published during the great depression of 1929, young readers may find it challenging to connect with the stories of people cited in the Book as examples.
I have also created a video of a few quotes from the Book – I hope you like it. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel – Myread4change.
This is a must-read book if you want to find out how to think and grow rich. The Book is a step-by-step guide from narrowing desire to a specific goal to accomplish it.
I wish you great success and happiness.