Book – Think and Grow Rich (Summary)
Author – Napoleon Hill
Genre – Self- help Book
Published Year – 1937
Can you really think and get rich? Author assures you can think and grow rich, if one read, understand and apply the principles suggested in the book. As it’s said there is no overnight success and so is with result of these principles. Learn it, apply it persistently and it will do wonders for you.
One of the best classic book on money and success. Author Spent More than 20 years and analyzing more than 25,000 individual while researching principles shared in the book on key aspect of creating abundance not only in terms of money/wealth but to accomplish anything worthwhile in life.
Think and grow rich was published in year 1937, which was only after great depression of 4 to 6 years. This book gave tools to acquire riches to everyone. As it had reduced all men, substantially, to same level. Times are equally uncertain now and yet there are ample of opportunities for people who are seeking and willing to put in the work.
About the Author –
Napoleon Hill was an American self-help author. He is best known for his book Think and grow rich among his other 10 bestselling self-help books of all time on improving one’s life through adopting success conscious mindset.
About the book –
The book shares thirteen money making secrets in total 38 chapter and Author claims that person who is ready to receive the secret will get it may be in the first chapter, last chapter or anywhere in between.
Synopsis of 13 Principles–
1) Desire (Definite Purpose) – Or as author puts it Burning desire explains through real life example of people who achieved what they desired. As, theirs was specific desire and they were determined to get it. Even though they met temporary defeat/failure they kept going as that happened to most successful man who ever succeeded. Being persistent is another trait that these people held.
2) Faith – definite desire with Faith can help us sustain specially in initial period or when going gets tough and we are filled with doubt. As William James put it “Our belief at the beginning of doubtful undertaking is the one thing that insures successful outcome of our venture.”
3) Auto-suggestion – It’s the signal we sent to our sub-conscious mind through our thinking, feeling and emotions. Whether deliberately put or let random thoughts get in it will bring forth. Hence it’s very important we let it in our sub-conscious mind. Auto-suggestion or repetition of words mean nothing unless mixed with feelings/emotions.
4) Specialized knowledge – There are two kinds of knowledge general/specialized and other is knowledge of how to gather certain information and used to accomplish desired goal. Following sentence from the book describes educated man well. “An educated man is one who has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may acquire anything he wants, or its equivalent, without violating the rights of others”
5) Imagination – Author describes Imagination as workshop where all impulse, desire are given shape, from and acted upon, before it ever hits the ground. Coca- cola drink conception is cited as great example of sheer power of imagination.
6) Organized Planning – As we move on to sixth step we have clarity of what we want and has written statement of what we desire. Pick that goal and create a plan and work on it. It may happen that one plan failed and so be ready to create new plan and march on with it. Don’t take temporary defeat as failure.
7) Decision – One of the important factor in accumulating riches is reaching to decision when opportunity presents. Lack of decision or procrastination is often at top when failure is met. Those who succeed makes decision quickly and change them slowly if at all, while those who fail reaches decision slowly and changes them quickly.
8) Persistence – Three chapters are dedicated to “PERSISTENCE” alone indicates the importance of it in all stages of acquiring money. Be it coming up with definite desire, building plan, working on plan, amending it. It is the core part in all the thirteen principles Author has shared in the book. The importance of persistence, lack of it and how to develop persistence is explained well describing it as state of mind.
9) Power – Power is described as organized effort through coordination of two or more people towards a definite end in spirit of harmony. Mastermind group is one of the way to acquire power through association of differently skilled people.
10) Transmutation – The transmutation of sex energy calls for the exercise of will-power, to be sure, but the reward is worth the effort. The desire for sexual expression is in-born and natural. It must not be repressed or eliminated. Instead, it should be given an outlet through forms of expression which enrich the body, mind and spirit of man.
11) The Subconscious Mind – The subconscious mind is the link between the finite mind of man and infinite intelligence. It works voluntarily and takes signal from conscious mind throughout the days, whether positive or negative. Hence, It is constantly advised in the book to write concise plan and always focus on positive outcome to avail the assistance of subconscious mind in accomplishing whatever we set our mind on.
12) The brain – Human brain is both a broadcasting and receiving station for the vibration of thought. Creative imagination is the receiving set of the brain, which receives thoughts, released by the brain of others.
13) The Sixth Sense – The sixth sense also referred as creative imagination, receiving set, through which ideas, plan and thoughts flash into the mind. The flashes are also referred as hunches, or inspiration. It defies description! Anyone who follows previous twelve principles eventually come to benefits from this principle and get creative solutions for solving problems and new ideas for accomplishing set goal.
Chapter on six basic fear is of tremendous help in finding fear in self and remedy of it. Six basic fears namely – The fear of Poverty, The fear of Criticism, The of Ill Health, The fear of loss of love of someone, the fear of Old Age and the fear of Death.
This is a must read book if you want to find out how to think and grow rich. Book is a step by step guide from narrowing desire to specific goal, to accomplishing it.
Caution of narration – Since book was researched and published post great depression of 1929, young readers may find it bit difficult to connect with stories of people cited in book as example. Though, I recommend to focus on principles shared, put them to work and you can rest assured of thinking and becoming rich.
I have also created video of few quotes from the book – Hope you like it. Please do subscribe to my You tube channel – Myread4change
You may buy this book based on your location from Amazon India or Amazon UAE or listen to Audio book for free with Amazon Audible free trail. #ad
Please share your feedback/suggestion of this summary as well as any questions you have about any principles shared in the book in comments below and I will be glad to answer as early as I can.